Monday, November 8, 2010

Perspective on Gender Identity and Stereotypes

Any article that starts out with an anecdote about some dude being shocked to see a woman using a power tool is gonna capture my attention. In my circle, I've got the tool-filled garage my guy friends envy.

I liked the author's comments on her own experience of gender identity. I mostly can relate. I experience life as me, and it doesn't match anyone's stereotypical anything.

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that the only sane method of dealing with people is to dump the shortcuts (stereotypes, preconceived notions, broad generalizations, etc.) and actually put forth the effort to get to know people as individuals. I'm still trying to figure out at what altitude it becomes necessary to talk about populations vs. people. For example, it's good to know that population x has a low reading rate and needs a plan to address it. It's not good to assume every x person you meet can't read.

Source: http://www.existenceiswonderful.com/2010/11/stop-being-so-surprised-maybe.html

No comments:

Post a Comment